I really like my apartment. Good location, near a few good restaurants, a couple of uber expensive shops that I can't even afford to window shop in. It's a little one bed room apartment, galley type kitchen, but it has built-in bookshelves/cabinets and a balcony. I really like the built-ins--they're cute! Remind me to post a pic sometime!-- and the balcony. I like to go out there and just breathe and think. Been doing lots of that lately.
For the most part the whole building is quiet. My apartment building is small, there are only 5 apartments. Each tenant is...unique, let's say. (Including yours truly. I can only imagine what's said about me...) Tenant #1 (he and his family have the whole first floor) doesn't like it when I hang up my t-shirts on my balcony to dry in the summer, says he doesn't like how it looks (mind you, you need to look UP to see any of this)and likes to monopolize the washer and dryer. There are two older women on the second floor. One, M., keeps to herself, I've seen her a few times and she's been very nice to me each time. The other, G. (who shall hereafter be known as Crazy Neighbor Lady or CNL) is a bit odd. She's lived the longest in the building so she feels like she needs to know what's going on. She also likes to knock on doors at all hours of the night and ask crazy questions. Hence the term Crazy Neighbor Lady or CNL. Then, there's me and H. on the third floor. Normally, I only hear H. when she comes in or when she leaves. We've run into each other a few times as well, but, she works two jobs so she's in and out at all hours.
One of H.'s jobs was on the campaign team for a local candidate. I'm not sure which one, she told me in passing once, but, I can't remember for sure. Anyway, the last few days have seen H. and other team members doing last minute election stuff. Not a huge deal, but, H. told me she'd be glad when it was all over when we saw each other a few days ago.
Yes, this post has a point. Bear with me.
Last night, I actually went to bed early, 11:00 pm (early for me). I have insomnia so I take Tylenol PM to help me fall asleep and stay asleep. I woke up around 4:10 am to the sound of voices. LOUD voices. Turns out H. and a few of her colleagues were out on her balcony celebrating/winding down/letting loose because of Election Day. There was one guy in particular who I wanted to kill because he a.) had a really loud laugh and b.) would talk louder than anyone else who was speaking. They stayed out there for a good 30 minutes, talking and laughing. I also wanted to murder one girl--I don't think it was H., but, I could be wrong--she had that fake laugh that some women get when they're flirting and drunk. Real high pitched and just...nails on a chalkboard at 4:10 am.
When I left for work this morning, I saw that H.'s door wasn't closed all the way, it was open just a bit. I didn't knock for fearing of waking them, but, wanted to, just for safety's sake.
I didn't go out and ask them to be quiet....I thought that would be rude and just cause them to be more obnoxious. I wanted to say something (and part of me still does), but, again, don't want to cause trouble.
What would you do?
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
My adventures in life and knitting...
About Me

- Name: Katy
- Location: Transplanted Yankee living in the MidSouth
I'm just a thirtysomething woman trying to make her way in this crazy world.
Previous Posts
- A fourteen hour work day yesterday + no food = one...
- A friend has requested that I make her one of the ...
- I was doing a mental checklist of all my FO's for ...
- A few weeks back, I issued myself a challenge to s...
- I've been having a rough time lately and can hones...
- Can you guess what this is?
- I finished the baby blanket that I started last Th...
- I was looking at patterns this weekend and found t...
- My list of favoritesActor - Tom Hanks, Morgan Free...
- What I Did At Work Today: A Short Essayby KatyI st...


3 Comments:
I would have called the cops and let them deal with it.
For me it would depend on frequency. If it's something that happens often that I'd ask the landlord to speak to H but if it's once or twice a year then, to me, it wouldn't be worth all the bad vibes of complaining about someone who's usually not problematic and getting her upset at me for the duration in all likelihood.
I live in a house but I have the same sorts of issues myself. One neighbor does fireworks after I've gone to bed a couple times a year and another sometimes has quite loud parties but for each of them it's a rare occurrence over the course of the year so it's not worth complaining to them. They are thus more likely to give me some leeway when I do something they're not crazy about. (Or my teenage boys for that matter- I'm thinking some goodwill in the bank is not a bad thing. ;) )
SP
I think you did the right thing. If it happens again then I'd probably say something. Once is not a big deal - but if it happens again, I'd just ask her to be more thoughtful of others in the house.
Elaine
Post a Comment
<< Home